oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] RE: interop advisory, example

I'll throw in a little here.

SVN is the on-line source-code version-control repository that OASIS makes
available to us.  The term is an abbreviation for Subversion.  It is a
well-established open-source effort (usable on SourceForge and many other
places) and recently became a project of the Apache Foundation.

When someone (usually Bart or myself) checks something into that repository,
you will see a notice on this list, just as there are JIRA activity notices.

I believe all OIC TC Members have check-in rights, but haven't tested that.

Everyone, including the public, can create a working set of any content of
the repository they want, and they can keep it synchronized with the OASIS
server.  But checking in is restricted.

The SVN is also readable via the web.  The raw view is at

<http://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/svn/oic/> providing an index
page for the particular directory and the latest revision made to any part
of the repository (any change anywhere advances the version number of the
entire repository).

There is also a special SVN browser that is supported by the repository.
You access it via a different URL,
<http://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/browse/wsvn/oic/?rev=0&sc=1>.
You can see more of the managed structure here, as well as learn of the
latest additions, what versions they are introduced with, etc.

Because the SVN repository operates as a Web (and WebDAV) server, it can
also be viewed as a web site, using either the browser view or the raw view.
How it works as a web site is a matter of practice and convention.  Bart and
I have taken advantage of that in a number of ways.  Here is what I do:

HMTL pages in the repository can be designed to be viewed properly from the
repository.  For example, this page was done that way, demonstrating a way
of annotating the material:
<http://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/svn/oic/SpecAnalysis/constructi
on/construction.htm>
(you can get here by navigation from the raw view).

There are also text files that are provided as ways to carry task items and
summaries as additional annotation of the materials under SVN management.
E.g.,
<http://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/svn/oic/SpecAnalysis/constructi
on/construction.txt>

This is all by convention and represents my own practices with regard to
some materials I have been authoring.  That material is rather stale and
dormant at the moment as ODF 1.2 commands my attention more.

  - Dennis
   Standards are arbitrary solutions to recurring problems (R. W. Bemer)
   Although not by becoming the recurring problem (orcmid).
  When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.