Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Acid Tests

2008/6/12 Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com>:
> 2008/6/12 Sam Johnston <samj@samj.net>:

>> which means opening a
>> doc from a website (perhaps a dense, multi-column beast with embedded
>> charts, sheets, etc., or a number of separate components/pages) and
>> comparing it to an image/PDF reference and/or uploading a doc to a website
>> for online analysis. I like David's definition of an Acid Test as a
>> 'comprehensive test [that concisely?] renders the results visually in a
>> manner that makes failures immediately obvious to the casual observer' by
>> the way.

> Foul. That means my mate Steve can't run it 'easily'. He's a casual
> observer. He's blind.
> No go Sam.

However, a visual test of the visual aspects would of course be quite workable.

(And "a casual observer" does not necessarily entail "the entire set
of possible casual observers", but could quite workably mean "those
who could see the results of a visual test." Particularly if the
visual aspect is important to many end users. That your mate Steve
doesn't share their needs does not make their needs wrong to
consider.)

- d.