Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] MARBUX POINT OF ORDER, OBJECTION, AND SUGGESTIONS No. 1

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 4:02 AM,  <robert_weir@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Paul, are you aware of the running summary here:
>  http://sites.google.com/a/odfiic.org/tc/Home ?

I wasn't. I thought you had vetoed the idea of using it. That will
help. But it needs to be more widely publicized.

> That might help you catch up to the current state of discussions, what has
> already been discussed, what topics remain, etc.

Not acceptable to me that decisions are being made on issues and
discussions I haven't even had time to read yet.

> This is not a meeting, there is no agenda, there is no chairman.   This is a
> discussion list, and with 129 subscribers, it is going to be messy.

Whether you call it a meeting, an agenda, or a chairman, you are still
the designated leader of this discussion. The formation notice states:

"(4) The name of the discussion list leader. Rob Weir"

<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00001.html>

And I still object to the way you are leading it. You are making
decisions about what goes in and stays out of the charter. Either
bring some order to this mess or stop making those kinds of decisions.
So far, you've given me grounds for an antitrust lawsuit because
you've chopped my proposals without discussion and consensus.

Make up your mind Rob. Either you have the authority to make decisions
in this group or you don't. You can't have it both ways. And what you
are doing is anything but consensus. If it helps, I claim the right to
reasonable accomodation for my disabilities pursuant to the Americans
With Disabilities Act. I am being denied the right to participate
effectively because I can't keep up with the pace you have set. I need
sleep and rest to maintain my health.

Three heart attacks so far, Rob, and if we can't get the job done in
90 days, we can start a new formation group. Getting the Charter right
is far more important than getting it done in 90 days. We have an
interop nightmare to clean up and I've got no intent of
rubber-stamping another check signed in blank for the big vendors to
screw up interop again. Look at what you said yourself about the
process used at the BRM for OOXML. You're not even allowing votes or
time for people to read the discussions and justifying it with the
OASIS time limit. Sounds familiar to me.

If you bring some order to this mess, I'll help. But the way you are
leading this group is absolutely unacceptable to me.

Best regards.

Paul

  My
> advice to you would be, if you want to be heard, to write shorter posts,
> more narrowly focused on a single point, with a descriptive subject line.
>  Put your main point up front.  In a busy list, few (except your humble
> servant) are going to bother to read through a long post.

That'd would be great if there were only a few folks participating who
all understood the technical issues, the history, and the law. But in
this disorganized mess with a deluge of folks knew to the situation,
all I'd wind up with is more discussions than I can even track. As it
is, I'm thinking seriously about putting all of my new posts on the UI
Council site and just linking to them from the list. This is an insane
mess.

Like I said, the way you were handling things was workable when there
were just a few people participating. It stopped working several days
ago.

> But of course, you are welcome to raise your points as you wish, even if I
> disagree with them, indeed even if everyone disagrees with them.

But who decides whether they make their way into the Charter and how
will those decisions be made? What's going on is anything but
consensus. Consensus isn't possible to achieve on a mailing list when
there are umpteen threads of discussion going at once.

 Come on, Rob, you're a software architect and a go-getter. You're
capable of designing a business process that gets this group to fair
decisions. Is this the best process you can design?

Best regards,

Paul

--
Universal Interoperability Council