Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] MARBUX POINT OF ORDER, OBJECTION, AND SUGGESTIONS No. 1

2008/6/16 Sander Marechal <sander.marechal@tribal-im.com>:

>> Is that your definition of interop Sander? Round tripping between apps?
>
> No. That's a generalisation. I'm just a very interested lurker and
> programmer with no formal committee experience. I'll leave it to you fine
> folk to get the language right :-)

I'm beginning to come to that decision. Bogged down or what?

> To explain myself a little bit better: I believe that this committee's work
> is focussed on interoperability in the ODF world, building test suites and
> tools that help ODF applications become compliant with the standard and
> helping ODF applications interoperate with each other. I don't think that
> the committee's work includes the interoperability of ODF with other
> standards such as OOXML, CDF, UDF or even PDF and HTML for that matter.

What a nice, simple, doable definition! I agree with your scope
entirely.

define some tests (for compliance with the existing standard, 1.1
would get my vote).
Say how the tests might be used for interop
Make recommendations back to the main TC in weak areas.
Job done.

> Therefor, the focus should be on round-tripping between all the various ODF
> implementations, tools, etcetera.

I dont see how round tripping will help give clear objective tests?
I'd perhaps go some way;
Process this document (or document fragment)
Look for x in the displayed/printed output.
If it looks like this, pass, else fail.

Run that on two applications and you have some objective tests.
How would you judge round tripping between 5 applications?

> If I missed the part where conversion between ODF and other
> standards/formats also became part of the future OIIC, please point out the
> thread/message. I haven't read it.

Sorry, I'm with you. This groups work should be focussed on ODF. Period.
Others thought to make a comparison perhaps.