Subject: Question 2(a) Identification of Similar work

The full question is:

"(2)(a) Identification of similar or applicable work that is being done in other OASIS TCs or by other organizations, why there is a need for another effort in this area and how this proposed TC will be different, and what level of liaison will be pursued with these other organizations."

Note the relevant OASIS policy on liaisons here:  http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/liaison_policy.php

In particular, note the distinction between organizational liaisons and TC liaisons.  I anticipate that any liaisons we recommend would be TC liaisons.

Some items we might declare include (just enumerating the items for now, not word smithing)

1) The ODF test suite effort started at the University of Central Florida under the direction of Dr. Lotzi Bölöni., and now hosted by the Open Document Fellowship (http://develop.opendocumentfellowship.com/testsuite).  I would hope that we could convince the maintainers of this test suite to contribute it to the IIC TC.  If we are able to get an agreement to that effect before we submit the TC charter, then we'll list this as a submission, not as similar or applicable work.

2) Proposed new work item in JTC1/SC34 for "OpenDocument Format (ISO/IEC 26300) / Office Open XML (ISO/IEC 29500) Translation" -- It is too early to tell exactly what this will look like, but the name sounds intriguing and is something we should probably monitor.  If it appears that there is interesting overlap, we may appoint a TC liaison to that working group.

3) The OASIS ODF TC -- possible overlap on implementation guides, if we decide to make that a goal.  We would expect to appoint an informal TC liaison to the ODF Adoption TC.  (I don't think OASIS has the concept of  a formal liaison between TC's, but I could be wrong.)

4) OASIS ODF Adoption TC -- in the area of OASIS InterOp demos, we plan on coordinating with the ODF Adoption TC, likely with the IIC TC working on the technical content and the Adoption TC, along with OASIS working on promotion and logistics.  We would expect to appoint an informal TC liaison to the ODF Adoption TC.  (I don't think OASIS has the concept of  a formal liaison between TC's, but I could be wrong.)

Another other standards organizations with which we  have overlapping work?  Any other TC's related to ours?

-Rob

Rob Weir
Software Architect
IBM Software Group