Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] PROPOSAL -- Name change for proposed TC

Paul/marbux,

----- Original Message ----
From: marbux <marbux@gmail.com>

> In one of my posts, I explained that I am not personally interested in
> the CDRF methodology for creating compound document formats. ODF
> already is a set of compound document formats. I raised the ability to
> combine ODF with other formats only because some on the list had
> expressed interest in doing so, and to point out another opportunity
> available if CDRF is specified as the interop framework for the ODF
> profile work.

CDRF is not an interop framework.

As a simple example, CDRF shows how you can combine XHTML and SVG content in a single, compound document. It does not place any requirements on clients in terms of what SVG features they implement: that SVG might be editable in one application, and not even viewable in another app. It doesn't say anything about conformance to those formats which make up the compound document outside the generic "this is how you plug them together".

Iin particular, CDRF does not and cannot address the scope of ODF profiles: if the new TC is to define feature subsets of ODF that is useful in a CDRF context (e.g., you could create a CDRF-based profile which aimed at mobile devices which included an ODF profile), but the two operate at entirely different levels.

Thanks

Simon.

Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
A Smarter Email http://uk.docs..yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html