Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Summary and Focus?

2008/6/19 jose lorenzo <hozelda@yahoo.com>:

>> 3. Are we testing how to use ODF to interact with other
>> formats (OOXML,
>> CDR, etc.)
>
> Rob (that I remember) has stated that he has been approached with those requests. I think that is within scope but of lower priority to cleaning house to some extent so that ODF itself is better. ODF-only/mostly inter-app interop seems to be getting more votes by more people than inter-protocol interop; however, if (eg) marbux and others have contributions to make on interop with other standards, I think that will carry weight.

I'm -1 on interop with other standards. Rationale: Workload. Get our
own house in order before we
look to interoperate with others. I honestly believe that M$ interop
(or at least import export) will happen
without our help. Leave it for later work or simply quote some
interchange profile for this task.
Make that clear enough and it will happen if others are interested.

> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00452.html
>>> b) identify problem areas that need to be brought to the attention of
> the ODF TC (if that's the right place for changing the ODF standard).  I
> doubt we are here to change the standard itself.  There are other TC's
> for that job.

> We can merely suggest things to the TC, or we can say "hey, we can't do our job without these changes". I opt for the latter when choosing between these two.

Unsure on the wording but I'm very strongly in favour of this. Without
main TC support this TCs work is totally
wasted. Oasis process issue here.

> I don't know how OASIS works, but in any case, I think there would be voting. In theory then, any TC can do anything.
>
> I think, at the minimum, any changes to ODF specifically required to accomplish our goals would be justified (though it may be voted down later on I suppose).

That's the politics I guess.