Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] The importance to users of documents lookingthe same

Paul, it occurs to me that there is an easy way out of this impasse that should get you where you want to go.  The best way to credential your vision for the new TC would be to have the Chair of the CDRF Working Group, or a W3C staff person,  post a message of support here that tells us (a) that they endorse your goal, (b) that they think the results you hope for are technically feasible, and (c) that they are committed to following a course of action that will ensure that any efforts on our part would be fruiful.  These points seem like only basic good sense.

They also make good sense from a going forward basis.  When standards groups work together, they establish liason relationships with each other, to ensure that they coordinate with each other to maximum mutual bebefit.  Commonly, a busy consortium will have about 40 such relationshios.  So to do something meaning full with CDRF, it would make very good sense to have such a relationship with W3C.

I'd suggest that you secure such an endosement from W3C, and that until then, we discontnue all further discussion of CDRF.  We are all very familar with your frequently articulated arguments, so the endorsement is the next logical step.  When you arrange for that we can then speedily move forward with a more informed decision.

Best regards,

Andy
Sent by PDA

----- Original Message -----
From: Simon Calderson [caldersons@yahoo.co.uk]
Sent: 06/20/2008 12:04 PM GMT
To: oiic-formation-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org

----- Original Message ----
From: marbux <marbux@gmail.com>

> I've already explained how CDRF can be implemented to maintain
> parallel branches of profiles that satisfy both the pixel perfect
> crowd and the business process crowd.with round-tripping ability
> between the parallel profiles.

All due respect Paul, but you haven't. You've made exaggerated claims and hand-waved over CDRF; you've studiously avoided answering questions about technical issues and mail threads where those technical deficiencies have been exposed.

CDRF is a 20-page W3C specification, of which there is perhaps 10 pages of "real content". Your whole argument appears to rest on a single bullet point of conformance criteria, which you have misconstrued in any event. To suggest that ODFs "interop problems" can be solved by adopting those conformance criteria is naive, in the extreme, and fundamentally misses so many problems it's just not even funny.

In this precise case, to suggest CDRF could possibly aid pixel-perfect ODF interop is hilarious.

Thanks.

Simon.