Subject: RE: [oiic-formation-discuss] The importance to users of documents looking the same

Sander,

I am not familiar with the OASIS process, but a charter to me is just a document that guides a group by defining what it can and can't do.  To that end, shouldn't we just submit a use-case to them rather than making it part of the charter?

Garry L. Hurley Jr.
Application Developer 2
Office of Information Technology - Bureau of Application Development
PA Department of Labor & Industry
651 Boas Street, Harrisburg, PA 17121
Phone: 717.506.9373 (UCMS) or 717.346.9799 (Harrisburg)  Fax: 717.506.0798  Mobile: 717.649.0597
www.dli.state.pa.us <http://www.dli.state.pa.us>

My comments do not reflect those of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, its various agencies and departments, or its citizens.  They are my own, and may or may not be shared by those in positions of authority over me.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sander Marechal [mailto:sander.marechal@tribal-im.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:21 PM
To: robert_weir@us.ibm.com
Cc: oiic-formation-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] The importance to users of
documents looking the same

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> I think the proposed TC should, as one of its initial tasks, take a
> broad look at profiles and profile conventions from OASIS, W3C,
> ISO/IEC, etc., and create an "ODF Profile Requirements" documents
> that state the TC's agreed-upon way of writing profiles.
> In terms of the charter, I'd suggest adding the "ODF Profile
> Requirements" report to the list of deliverables.

+1

> But I think it is
> premature, not having done completed the research, to put specific
> technical limitations regarding profiles into the charter.

Not sure about this one. Perhaps we could still set some baseline
requirements that we all agree on are necessary for good interop, then
leave all the details and techspeak to the TC.

Can use-cases be included in the charter or does it need to be formal
standards language? I think it would be useful if we could draw up a few
use cases and ask the TC to deliver formal ODF profile requirements that
satisfy those use cases. I.e. we just tell the TC "what" we want and
leave the "how" to the TC.

--
Sander Marechal
http://www.jejik.com/odf-xslt