Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] The importance to users of documents looking the same

2008/6/20 Sander Marechal <sander.marechal@tribal-im.com>:

> It has to do with the inability to define what a "profile" is. We don't want
> to attempt to hammer out a definition of and ODF profile on this list and
> nail the TC down to it (see the CDRF discussion). We do have some rough
> understanding of what ODF profiles should do. What kind of interop we would
> like to achieve by using profiles.
>
> So, instead of hammering out a definition for profiles, can we together on
> this list write a set of use-cases of the kind of interop that profiles
> should fulfill, and then ask the TC to:
>
> 1) Research and develop a formal definition/spec/requirements of what an ODF
> profile is. One that satisfies all the use-cases we would develop.
>
> 2) Dictate that when ODF profiles are being developed by the TC, that they
> will use the requirements written under (1).

+1

I think that is on the cards now?

http://sites.google.com/a/odfiic.org/tc/profiles can be used
to collate examples if Mary/Rob aren't comfortable having them
in the document that goes to the TC.

> Both Garry Hurley and I don't know if it's possible to set a TC to work with
> use-cases and ask "make us something that does this". Is that possible under
> OASIS process? How would it work? Should it be in the charter? The list of
> deliverables? A combination of both? What would the language be like?

I doubt it, since it's not within the list outlined in the
http://sites.google.com/a/odfiic.org/tc/Home/22-tc-formation
policy and guidelines (as far as I can see)
"Includes *only* the following" ....

> My hope is that it is far easier for this list to reach consensus on a set
> of use-cases instead of on a formal definition, and we would not limit the
> TC unnecessarily to boot. Hopefully this satisfies everyone's interests
> (Rob's that we don't nail the TC down too much, Marbux's that we don't give
> the TC a carte blanche. Etcetera)

+1

Fully agree. I'm sure we can get a message to the TC, once formed
that our thoughts are at http://sites.google.com/a/odfiic.org/tc/profiles
on what a profile is?

Either add them to the website or to the list and I'll add them.

HTH