Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Deliverable: odf-diff?

marbux wrote:
> But I don't see that as highly relevant to ODF app <> ODF app interop
>  before app dependencies are removed from the ODF spec in a core
> profile.

As I've written previously, IMHO the two sources of interop problems are
bugs in the spec and bugs in the implementations. This is squarely aimed
at fixing bugs in the implementation.

It would help ODF application and tool developers
to get better conformance and interop. We'd be able to check if two
applications produce the same document (given the same data). We could
integrate it into an application's automated regression test suite.
Etcetera.

As for pipe dreams: We could use it to create a "patch" tool that can
merge different versions of the same document into one (think ODF
editing with multiple users at the same time, all users using a
different application). As long as they don't change the same portions
of a document, you could merge all the changes (like in a Wiki. Or plain
old software diffd/patches) because changes like automates styles
renaming get ignored by the diff tool.

--
Sander Marechal