Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Informative clauses

Dave Pawson wrote:

> I think that is presumptive. It would misinterpret the standard?
> If the author had wanted a shall or must surely he|she would
> have put one in there?

When I write (or read) documentation, I always presume that something
should be done as it is written, unless there's a choice, but in that
case the choice should be (and usually is) clearly described.

For that reason I would say that it might be Ok to consider every place
where there's no clear choice given - as mandatory, non-changeable item.
After all, standards should be read and understood by engineers and
developers who would like to have a clear picture of what they're
supposed to do...