Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Deliverable: odf-diff?

Sander Marechal <s.marechal@jejik.com> wrote on 06/22/2008 05:52:24 AM:

> Yes. It would be much like the xml-c14n spec. To steal from the xml-c14n
> spec:
>
> "[A set of] specification[s] that describes a method for generating a
> physical representation, the canonical form, of an [ODF] document that
> accounts for the permissible changes."
>
> I'm writing "A set of" here because we'd need more than one. We'd need a
> spec to canonicalize styles.xml, content.xml, the manifest, the zip file
> (packing order of the files? it may already be in the zip spec. If so,
> this could be skipped), etcetera.

Of course this could be a single document, with different sections pertaining to each of: styles.xml, content.xml, etc.

The nice thing about this overall approach is it takes us from writing a tool, or defining a tool, to defining an set of abstract operations on an ODF document instance.  The resulting "Canonical ODF" could be used by a diff'ing tool, but could also be used for things like digital signatures.  Similarly, the W3C's XML Signature standard uses C14N to ensure that logically equivalent XML instances have the same hash values.

-Rob