Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] My perspective. display perferct?

On Monday 30 June 2008 11:44:37 Dave Pawson wrote:
> I'm focussing on 'pixel perfect' simply because it is
> seen as an issue here, i.e. I see no consensus or definition.
> Simpler compliance is not an issue, but equally important.

Hi,
I'm mostly a lurker (this is my third post!), but aren't we getting off the
point a little? What, exactly, is the purpose of ODF?

To store formatted information and pictures?
To represent a document in a typographically perfect way?

To me, it seems that ODF is for the former, and how I represent the
information on screen or paper or by screen reader (any blind people here?)
is less important than knowing what text is part of a table, or a formula, or
a paragraph etc.

There are several languages for typesetting. PDF and Postscript spring to
mind, PDF now even being an ISO standard (ISO 32000). Shouldn't they be used
for pixel perfect rendering of documents? Or are we trying to incorporate PDF
in ODF?

Alex.
--

Alexander Wright