Subject: RE: [oiic-formation-discuss] Proposed Use case -- Interoperability in vertical and horizontal ODF markets

foreign means "4: alien in character : not connected or pertinent" to quote a definition from www.m-w.com which is the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary.  Now, if it is "not connected or pertinent" then we have no reason to test it.  If it is "alien in character" we have no idea what it is, hence no way to test it.  So I ask you all, how can we test what we do not know and why should we test what may not exist?  That is like testing to see if God is under a rock in your garden.  If you believe in an omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent superior being that you call "God", then by the definition of 'omnipresent', he is under the rock, but you cannot prove it, and I defy anyone to devise a test to do so empirically.

Garry L. Hurley Jr.
Application Developer 2
Office of Information Technology - Bureau of Application Development
PA Department of Labor & Industry
651 Boas Street, Harrisburg, PA 17121
Phone: 717.506.9373 (UCMS) or 717.346.9799 (Harrisburg)  Fax: 717.506.0798  Mobile: 717.649.0597
www.dli.state.pa.us <http://www.dli.state.pa.us>

My comments do not reflect those of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, its various agencies and departments, or its citizens.  They are my own, and may or may not be shared by those in positions of authority over me.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Pawson [mailto:dave.pawson@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 10:39 AM
To: oiic-formation-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Proposed Use case --
Interoperability in vertical and horizontal ODF markets

2008/6/27  <robert_weir@us.ibm.com>:

> In any case, this could be tested in a conformance test and a information
> message emitted on whether or not the application preserves foreign elements
> and attributes.

How, when the standard doesn't define foreign?
Nor if odf elements are to be processed if within 'foreign' elements?

 Since this provision is not expressed as a recommendation
> or requirement, we have no basis (in the standard) for issuing a warning or
> an error.

I.e. it is untestable. 14% of section 1 is untestable in a like manner.

See also http://lists.dsdl.org/dsdl-comment/2008-06/0043.html