Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Reason and example arguing for the use of an ODF (or XML) canonical form

--- On Sat, 7/5/08, Simon Calderson <caldersons@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> From: Simon Calderson <caldersons@yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Reason and example arguing for the use of an ODF (or XML) canonical form
> To: oiic-formation-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org
> Date: Saturday, July 5, 2008, 11:00 AM
> Jose,
>
> As noted before, it's extremely dangerous and
> detrimental to the success of the proposed new TC to talk
> in terms which are anti-Microsoft. Please don't do it.

> FWIW, as a general point, I stand by my previous argument
> that the OIIC TC cannot and should not attempt to prevent
> "bad" uses of ODF. That solution is worse than
> the problem. We need to assume good faith on the part of
> vendors participating in the TC; to do otherwise is to
> treat them the same way record companies treat their
> customers when they handcuff them with DRM.

I worked up a reply over how I was saying nothing illegitimate, off topic, unimportant, or unhelpful* but then realized that I did use the "ill intention" to fill out most (but not all) of the argument ..so maybe it was unhelpful.

For the sake of EVERYONE cooperating and with more at stake here than me, I really hope I don't repeat along those lines.