Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Reason and example arguing for the use of an ODF (or XML) canonical form

--- On Sat, 7/5/08, jose lorenzo <hozelda@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: jose lorenzo <hozelda@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Reason and example arguing for the use of an ODF (or XML) canonical form
> To: oiic-formation-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org
> Date: Saturday, July 5, 2008, 11:31 AM
> --- On Sat, 7/5/08, Simon Calderson
> <caldersons@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > From: Simon Calderson <caldersons@yahoo.co.uk>
> > Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Reason and
> example arguing for the use of an ODF (or XML) canonical
> form
> > To: oiic-formation-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org
> > Date: Saturday, July 5, 2008, 11:00 AM
> > Jose,
> >
> > As noted before, it's extremely dangerous and
> > detrimental to the success of the proposed new TC to
> talk
> > in terms which are anti-Microsoft. Please don't do
> it.
>
> > FWIW, as a general point, I stand by my previous
> argument
> > that the OIIC TC cannot and should not attempt to
> prevent
> > "bad" uses of ODF. That solution is worse
> than
> > the problem. We need to assume good faith on the part
> of
> > vendors participating in the TC; to do otherwise is to
> > treat them the same way record companies treat their
> > customers when they handcuff them with DRM.
>
> I worked up a reply over how I was saying nothing
> illegitimate, off topic, unimportant, or unhelpful* but
> then realized that I did use the "ill intention"
> to fill out most (but not all) of the argument ..so maybe
> it was unhelpful.
>
> For the sake of EVERYONE cooperating and with more at stake
> here than me, I really hope I don't repeat along those
> lines.

Before I go...

I hadn't realized that an assumption deemed necessary in order for this venture to have success would be that all market players (including the monopolist) cooperate fully. If true, it would seem the work of the OIIC TC is on shaky ground, considering that thwarting competition is considered by many to be "healthy competition" and not "ill will." Some will, as a matter of natural business, work on standards with others and then allow these to be broken judiciously for large profits (I am not singling anyone here).

What I would rather believe is that the TC would be successful as long as there are those that stand to benefit and would participate.

I have a different take on the DRM and labels example you mentioned than being nice to the labels, as I think you were suggesting be done, by way of analogy with treating Microsoft as if they would be truly cooperative. I won't go into detail, however, as that would take me onto an off topic rant on avoiding closed source software and its unavoidable hooks, especially when it's platform software.