Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Support the user with diverse ODF provisions

--- On Sat, 7/19/08, Tom M. <m42tom-odf@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Tom M. <m42tom-odf@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Support the user with diverse ODF provisions
> To: oiic-formation-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org
> Date: Saturday, July 19, 2008, 6:58 PM
> --- jose lorenzo <hozelda@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > We can add support by standardizing attributes or
> other
> > mechanisms that allow the extension creator to
> > communicate how the extension might best be handled by
> > apps that don't understand the extension.
>
> Regardless of the merits of this, it is off topic.  What
> you are proposing is a change to the ODF standard.  This
> has nothing to do with the way that different applications
> implementing the ODF standard interoperate.
>
> It seems to me that these discussions have degenerated into
> endless off-topic posts.

Do you have the link to the mailing list being used for discussing ways to improve the interoperability of ODF? Maybe I took a wrong turn somewhere.

Seriously, in what way do you feel hampered, or what do you think is so improper in discussing on this TC formation list the sorts of topics that are likely to be relevant to the proposed TC? I think analysis and suggestions to improve ODF interop in versions beyond 1.1 help in "evaluating the interest" or "defining the proposal" for the OIIC TC. [Ref http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process-2008-02-05.php#discussLists and http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00001.html (item #2.2 in particular, "preliminary statement of scope").]

> ..I can only guess that those
> engaging in this type of discussion have some other agenda
> than advancing the state of ODF interoperability.

You aren't serious are you? One would think my "agenda" would be pretty clear from everything I have said on this list.

Should we question your agenda for distracting on-topic discussions?

Let me suggest you stop reading emails from hozelda@yahoo.com if you are so bothered, unless perhaps you are indirectly lead to one as you pursue a conversation that does interest you. There is hardly a reason for people on this list working to improve ODF and grow its use fairly to be wasting their time on conversations that don't interest them. A single list can get crowded, but the cost not to click on a link is much less than to let what might be good ideas die on the vine or not be shared.

[Disclaimer: My experience with ODF, XML.. is limited. I do not keep up with the literature and have obviously not contributed to it. My education is also limited by many standards. I have no intention to fool anyone or to start adding avoidable noise to any list.]