Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Draft Interoperability and Conformance TCformation proposal (0.2)

"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote on 07/25/2008 01:51:20 AM:

>   I have been shopping this draft around, attempting to get views and
> > comments from a variety of possible participants, and not exclusively
from
> > this list.
>
> Pity you're not more of a team player Rob.

Maybe I just have a broader sense of what the team is?

> > It is fair to let you know that I intend to move this forward into a
formal
> > proposal for a new TC soon, well before the 90 day period of the
discussion
> > list has expired.
>

> IOW you really didn't need the input from this group at all?
>
> Others please note. Rob has no need of consensus from this group
> according to the (lack of ) Oasis process for TC formation.

OASIS process does not require the existence of a formation discussion
list at all.  I said that quite a while ago.  The only reason we have a
list in the first place is because I personally pushed for one, to broaden
the participation in the discussion.  Not to replace all other inputs, but
to broaden the scope of input. I certainly have found much value in having
this discussion.

I'm still interested in such input.  That is why I posted this draft of
the proposed charter.

> -------------------------------------
> >
> > TC formation proposal.
> >
> > 1a. Name:  OASIS OpenDocument Format Interoperability and Conformance
> > Technical Committee (OIC TC)
>
> > 1b. Statement of Purpose
> >
> > The OpenDocument Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) OASIS
> > Standard defines an XML schema for office applications and its
semantics.
> > The schema is suitable for office documents, including text documents,
> > spreadsheets, charts and graphical documents like drawings or
presentations,
> > but is not restricted to these kinds of documents.
>
> Unnecessary. Delete.

This is a common thread among all of the ODF-related TC's, being the first
paragraph of the ODF TC's charter as well as the ODF Adoption TC's
charter.  I'd like to keep it.  Since the charter will be the primary text
for the eventual Call for Participation, I think that provides a good
summary of the underlying subject matter for those who may not be familiar
with ODF.

> > There are several commercial and open source applications available
based on
> > the OpenDocument Format, with more currently under development.  With
the
> > depth and breadth of functionality specified by ODF, achieving
conformance
> > and interoperability requires attention to numerous details and
diverse
> > requirements.
>
> Not a statement of purpose.

This and other comments show a lack of understanding of the requirements
for OASIS charters.  You might want to review these requirements  In
particular, note that the purpose section must include "a definition of
the problem to be solved", which is what we have stated here.

> > It is the purpose of the OIC TC to produce materials and host events
that
> > will help implementors create applications which conform the ODF
standard
> > and which are able to interoperate.
>
> Is IBM hosting these events? Never mentioned on this list.

Where is IBM mentioned?

A few likely charter members of the proposed OIC TC have discussed hosting
an interoperability event at the OpenOffice.org conference in Beijing, in
November.  The ODF Adoption TC hosted a similar event last year at this
conference and we were able to get representatives from most of the ODF
vendors to attend:  Sun, IBM, Google, KOffice, AbiWord, SEPT Solutions,
etc.

In any case, the event hosting aspect of the charter was stated in the
first draft the scope statement sent as message #1 on this list back on
June 2nd.

> > 1c. Scope of Work
> >
> > In accordance with the OIC TC's purpose, the scope of our work will
include
> > the following activities:
> >
> > Initially and periodically thereafter, to review the current state of
> > conformance and interoperability among ODF implementations, and
toproduce a
> > an impartial report that notes areas of accomplishment as well as
areas
> > needing improvement, and which recommends prioritized activities for
> > advancing the state of conformance and interoperability among ODF
> > implementations;
>
> Is this a scoping statement?

I believe so.

> > To collect the provisions of the ODF standard, and of standards
normatively
> > referenced by the ODF standard, and to produce a comprehensive
conformity
> > assessment methodology specification which enumerates all collected
> > provisions, as well as specific actions recommended to test each
provision,
> > including definition of preconditions, expected results, scoring and
> > reporting;
>
> A very unclear task. Not scope. Inappropriate in this section.

I believe this is scope.

> > To select a corpus of ODF interoperability test documents, such
documents to
> > be created the OIC TC, or received as member or public contributions;
> > publish the ODF interoperability test corpus and promote its use in
> > interoperability workshops and similar events;
>
> An activity, not a scoping statement.

Perhaps you need to refresh yourself on what scope is, in an OASIS
charter.  It is "a definition of what is and what is not the work of the
TC".  That is what you see here.

> > To define profiles of ODF which will increase interoperability among
> > implementations in the same vertical domain, for example, ODF/A for
> > archiving;
>
> An activity, not a scoping statement.
> How might a profile (undefined) increase interop?

Activity == a definition of what is the work of the TC == proper material
for a Scope of Work statement in an OASIS charter.

> > To define profiles of ODF which will increase interoperability among
> > implementations in the same horizontal domain, for example ODF Mobile
for
> > pervasive devices, or ODF Web for browser-based editors.
>
> An activity, not a scoping statement.

See above.

> > To provide feedback, where necessary, to the ODF TC on changes to ODF
that
> > might improve interoperability;
>
> At last! But still an activity, not a scoping statement.

See above.

> > To coordinate, in conjunction with the ODF Adoption TC, Interop
Workshops
> > and OASIS InterOp demos related to ODF;
>
> This from the man who said we shouldn't be writing software. U turn Rob.

What does this have to do with software?  You've lost me there, Dave.

> Reminder. Scope. The sphere or area over which any activity operates
> or is effective; range of application or of subjects embraced; the
> reach or tendency of an argument, etc.; the field covered by a branch
> of knowledge, an inquiry, concept, etc.

The relevant definition would be that given by OASIS in their TC formation
process:

"The scope of the work of the TC, which must be germane to the mission of
OASIS, and which includes a definition of what is and what is not the work
of the TC, and how it can be determined when the work of the TC has been
completed. The scope may reference a specific contribution of existing
work as a starting point, but other contributions may be made by TC
Members on or after the first meeting of the TC. Such other contributions
shall be considered by the TC Members on an equal basis to improve the
original starting point contribution."

> > To liaise on conformance and interoperability topics with other TC's
and
> > bodies whose work is leveraged in present or future ODF
specifications, and
> > with committees dealing with conformance and interoperability in
general.

> An activity. Fresh from the mind of RW?

This statement dates back to the beginning of June and in fact as in the
original draft scope sent as the very first posting to this list on June
2nd:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00001.html

That statement itself was borrowed from the ebXML IIC TC's Charter here:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ebxml-iic/charter.php

So it is neither fresh, nor from my mind.  But thanks for the compliment
all the same.

> > The following activities are explicitly not within the Scope of the
OIC TC:

> > Acting as a rating or certifying authority or agency for conformance
of ODF
> > implementations;
> > Authoring or distributing software that tests the conformance or
> > interoperability of ODF implementations;
>
> Despite providing demonstrations? With vapourware perhaps?

I'm not sure of the objection here.  Do you a reason why not distributing
software would be incompatible with giving a demo?  Remember, the Charter
restricts what the TC does as a TC.  It does not restrict what TC members
do as individuals outside of the TC.

> > 1d. List of Deliverables
> >
> > Initial report on the state of ODF conformance and interoperability
(March
> > 1st, 2009);
> > Report on the best practices on profiles and recommendations on
possible
> > ODF-related profiles (April 1st, 2009);
>
> I wouldn't take you on for project estimating Rob.

That is probably a good call.  I'm horrible at estimations.

> > A conformity assessment methodology specification, detailing how each
> > provision and recommendation in the ODF standard may be tested for
> > conformance (May 1st, 2009);
>
> Like the spec itself, note the 'may'

Dave, you are always free to make a specific suggestion, including any
replacement text.  That would save time and  avoid the necessity of
reading your mind.

> > Interoperability test corpus documents,  released in batches,
according to
> > functional area (several incremental deliverables, Q4 2008 through
2009)

> No definition of " Interoperability test corpus documents,"? Who'se
supposed
> to translate this?

If more definition is required, it should go in the Scope of Work section
with this term is first used.  Any specific suggestions?

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/openoffice_org_odf_validation_service

> > We note that the W3C has test suite work efforts pertaining so several
of
> > the standards which ODF references, including MathML and XForms.  We
would
> > expect to consult with them on any overlapping topics.
> >
> > Finally we observe that the OASIS ODF TC owns the ODF standard,
including
> > the definition of conformance for ODF.   The OIC TC's work does not
overlap,
> > since our scope would not including defining conformance for ODF
>
> Pardon. Go read the proposed TC title?
> Moving towards farce Rob.

Do you disagree? Where does the scope statement of the proposed OIC TC
overlap with the scope statement of the ODF TC?

> " we observe that "... Which 'we' Rob? You and your employers?
> Certainly not the group of people on this list.

Formally, the use of "we" would refer to the initial signatories to the
charter when it is submitted to OASIS.  If they agree, the sign.  If they
don't agree, then they don't sign, or they suggest alterative wording.
Generally, those who merely complain without making suggestions neither
sign nor get changes made for them.

> , but
> > defining test cases (preconditions, specific test actions, expected
results)
> > that are traceable to the provisions of the ODF standard and
referenced
> > standards.
>
> Your confusion is showing Rob - how is this not a compliance test?

I don't see the conflict here.  Maybe you can be more explicit about what
is confusing to you.  Defining conformance is not the same as creating a
conformity assessment methodology specification.

ISO defines it as: "A conformity assessment methodology may include the
specification of some or all of the following: terminology, basic
concepts, requirements and guidance concerning test methods, test
specification and means of testing, and requirements and guidance
concerning the operation of conformity assessment services and the
presentation of results."

Also observe that there are some on this list who think that this work
should be done by the ODF TC itself, while there are others that think
that it should not be done by OASIS or the implementors at all, but by
third parties. So I'm not going to please everyone. Luckily I'm not
required to please everyone.

Regards,

-Rob