oodf-board message

Subject: Re: Samvera approval vote

Thanks! Voted. 3 to zero. Please note for our records:
 1. This will confirm that, based on review of the materials in Scott's folder and meetings and communications with the proposers, the Host LLC's managers (Scott McGrath, Jamie Clark and Chet Ensign) concluded at our meeting this afternoon that this proposal is feasible, and recommend that the OASIS Board consent to it.
 2. It is a condition of those conclusions and launch that an assignment and consent be signed, in a reasonably satisfactory short form to be worked out, of the Emory University staffing and support MoU, from 'old' Samvera to the new Samvera foundation series entity.
 3. OASIS does not warrant or assess the legal effects or risk assessment of Samvera's trademarks. We understand they are held by a nonprofit member in trust for Samvera. However, we do recommend that Samvera have the holder acknowledge the new entity's right to use the mark as the successor, and also seek to have the registrations \ ownership transferred over. Those are only recommendations, not requirements; however, OASIS's legal host might not be able to permit the Samvera entity to continue use those marks if their use or ownership was materially disputed and unresolved.ÂÂ
ÂÂÂ 4.ÂÂ Similarly, OASIS does not take responsibility for the effects of Samvera's IPR licenses and documenting choices;Â but we are likely to offer some informal advice about how best to ensure that its CLAs and records are deployed and maintained successfully,
 Scott: Feel free to pillage item 1 for your transmittal to the Board if you like, and handle item 2 as needed to make it a condition of launch. We can do a very simple one-page form for Emory, if they'd like: nothing heavy-duty needed.
ÂÂ I will turn items 3 and 4 into a communication to Heather and cc y'all.
 Thanks for running with the ball. Jamie

James Bryce Clark, General Counsel, OASIS Open, setting the standard for open collaboration