openc2-actuator message

Subject: SLPF Note

All,

A few meetings ago we discussed directionality as it pertains to the packet filtering actuator. On this topic, I have some suggested clarifications that I would like to get into the spec. Also at the next meeting I would like to discuss issue #113, which deals with changing the default direction to ingress. Please let me know any comments and I will plan to make a pull request for this near the next meeting with your input.

Type: Direction (Enumerated)

ID Name Description
1 both Apply rules to all traffic
2 ingress Apply rules to incoming traffic only

3 egress Apply rules to outgoing traffic only

Direction is required by some packet filters. For a host-based or host interface-based packet filter, inbound indicates a packet that originated from a different host. For a network-based packet filter ,such as a router or a switch, ingress indicates a packet entering a physical or logical interface that your organization controls.

pkt ----> to Host (ingress)
<--- pkt generated by Host (egress)
pkt ----> eth0_Router_eth1---->Host/s (ingress to eth0, egress from eth1)

Reference: