openc2-imple message

Subject: OpenC2 vs OpenDxl Ontology

I think the IC-SC should look more closely at the OpenDxl Ontology being proposed by McAfee in the OASIS Open Cybersecurity Alliance.

See https://opencybersecurityalliance.github.io/opendxl-ontology/.

I personally am for the principles behind the OCA (ie vendor agnostic interoperability). I thought they were going to leverage existing standards like OpenC2. I am concerned that I think the ontology is not what I think of as a ontology but is instead a command and control language. For example their command âblacklistâ looks to me like the OpenC2 command âdenyâ. Maybe I am misunderstanding but I think people should look and we should have a FAQ about how they relate. If they are âcompetingâ, I recommend interested parties contribute their views to OCA, hopefully supporting not reinventing the wheel. If they are not competing then the FAQ should explain.

Duncan Sparrell

sFractal Consulting LLC

iPhone, iTypo, iApologize

I welcome VSRE emails. Learn more at http://vsre.info/