openc2-imple message

Subject: RE: IC-SC report for 2 Feb 2021

Good summary of the meeting, Dave.

There is also an ongoing concern that we *may* be creating some unidiomatic MQTT, Feedback from someone who is a regular user of of MQTT messages in some other context would be particularly welcome as to style of use. There is considerable choice in that spec, and we would like this to be aligned with what MQTT users consider “normal” usage.

tc

From: openc2-imple@lists.oasis-open.org <openc2-imple@lists.oasis-open.org> On Behalf Of Lemire, Dave (HII-TSD)
Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2021 9:34 AM
To: openc2-imple@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [openc2-imple] IC-SC report for 2 Feb 2021

We spend yesterday’s IC-SC walking through the current WD of the MQTT Transfer Specification, focusing primarily on the three examples. I’d like to thank Duncan Sparrell for some very useful feedback, which I plan to address to generate a new WD fairly quickly, and ask for approval of the next CSD at this month’s TC meeting.

The current WD can be viewed here:

https://github.com/oasis-tcs/openc2-transf-mqtt/blob/v1.0_wd05/transf-mqtt-v1.0.md

Right now there are three examples. The first two emphasize MQTT message flow, the third more about how OpenC2 content is packaged therein:

  1) message flow for basic connect and subscribe

  2) message flow for generic command & response (w/o a realistic OpenC2 command)

  3) PUBLISH packets and message flow for a realistic OpenC2 command and response

Some of Duncan's feedback was to

  (i) be clearer regarding the purpose of each example and

  (ii) link it back to the sections of the spec it was illustrating.

Both of which make sense to me.

Ideas for other examples that would be helpful to a developer are certainly welcome, as is any other feedback on the current WD. At this point I've got the mechanics of producing the graphics pretty well established so more examples aren't too difficult.

Dave

David Lemire

Systems Engineer

HII Mission Driven Innovated Solutions (HII-MDIS)

Technical Solutions Division

1557174172863_PastedImage

302 Sentinel Drive | Annapolis Junction, MD 20701

Work (301) 575-5190 | Mobile (443) 535-1182