Subject: Re: [openc2] A motion to table the 'Meeting Times' motion

On 12.07.2017 12:19:49, Brule, Joseph M wrote:

> To formally codify this as a standing rule, bylaw or whatever is
> another matter and is detrimental.

Hey, Joe -

I don't think anybody actually wants to carve 13h EDT in stone. That
doesn't make sense for all the reasons you enumerated. I doubt whether
*any* OASIS TC has formalized their call schedule to that extent;
certainly the CTI TC hasn't.

Somehow this conversation escalated from, "Hey, 11h EDT is a problem
for the CTI TC and we've got a lot of folks active in both TCs. Could
we please shift the regular calls to 13h?" to people making formal
motions out of apparent frustration.

I'm not sure how we got here but I *do* know that this is detrimental
to building a thriving community within the OpenC2 TC. Can we all
please hit reset on this whole conversation and shift back to a more
collegial tone?

> There is another consideration, albeit less vicarious. It appears
> that this 13:00 eastern time was selected as a matter of convenience
> for members of a particular TC and I suspect that this time is not
> going to be particularly good for our European colleagues. Do we
> REALLY want to create the perception that the OpenC2 TC operates at
> the convenience of a subset of the American members to the point
> where we micromanage how the SC, tiger team and study groups
> schedule their meetings?

As both a CTI TC co-chair *and* a European colleague, I confront this
issue every week, so I really appreciate your empathy in raising the
point, Joe.

Scheduling calls that work for everybody is impossible. EMEA is one
thing, but don't forget about APAC. Over in the CTI TC we've long been
running an alternate monthly TC call at a time more convenient for
APAC (so folks don't have to get up at 04h just to maintain their TC
voting rights).

Apart from this, it's catch-as-catch-can. I'm frequently on CTI TC
calls running late into my night and there are a number of folks I
know in APAC who wrest themselves out of bed at insane hours to join
working calls. It's just the nature of the beast.

Asynchronous channels like Slack and email enable folks unable to join
working calls to meaningfully participate in development work. It's
*not* the same as being on a working call, but it's the best we've
been able to come up with.

--
Cheers,
Trey