Subject: Re: Improving OpenC2.org FAQ Page Maintenance

Great work Dave

iPhone, iTypo, iApologize

From: openc2@lists.oasis-open.org <openc2@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Lemire, Dave (HII-Mission Technologies) <david.lemire@hii-tsd.com>
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2022 1:19:17 PM
To: TC OpenC2 <openc2@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: [openc2] Improving OpenC2.org FAQ Page Maintenance

TC members:  The current OpenC2.org FAQ page has an elegant presentation that works well, but is implemented with hard-coded HTML and updates require some care to ensure things stay working (ask me how I know). I’ve developed an alternative implementation that simplifies maintenance by storing each FAQ in an individual markdown file with a simple format, and then automatically building the FAQ page from that set of files. At this point I believe I have this working correctly.

You can see the results by visiting https://dlemire60.github.io/openc2-org.github.io/faqs.html, which is built from individual FAQ files loaded as a Jekyll collection, with behavior matching the current hard-coded FAQ presentation.  There is one slight visual difference: the new page includes " -- Index: #" on each FAQ, which is a testing artifact and will be removed in the final version. If you find any problems with the proposed new version please let me know.

You can see the files for the automation at https://github.com/dlemire60/openc2-org.github.io/tree/auto-faq; the builder page is faqs.html (faq.html is the current version), and the individual faqs are in the folder _faqs.   Per our documented website maintenance process, this constitutes a structural change to the website so I will be presenting it to the 4 January working meeting for approval. Between now and then I will also document how this capability operates in that branch’s README.md file.

The same techniques should also be usable to similarly simplify maintaining the “In the News” page, which is on my radar as a next step.

Dave

David Lemire
IA Systems Engineer
Mission Technologies