opencsa-ms message

Subject: Re: [opencsa-ms] Inter-SCA TC Liaison Committee Charter - FINAL

On Oct 24, 2007, at 6:52 PM, Patrick Gannon wrote:

> Graham and the OpenCSA MS Steering Committee,
>

> I can appreciate your desire to move forward with this coordination
> activity, and I support the creation of this inter-TC liaison group.
>

> I was waiting to submit edits until after Jeff posted a revised
> charter; so attached are edits to the Inter-SCA TC Liaison charter
> that I am submitting for your review and approval as a revised
> charter.
>

> I have communicated with Jeff M. on this matter and we agree that
> the changes are primarily semantics and do not change the
> operational aspects of the charter as you have drafted it.

Guess i'd better speak for myself. ;-)

"Semantics", i.e. meaning, is significant to me. So if by "semantics"
you mean they don't really make a difference, then why bother? What i
believe is that it makes no difference if we name the the group a
SubCommittee or a Committee, or a foobar. The powers are spelled out
in the charter, not in the name.

I made no comment on the rest of the proposed changes.  I'm not sure
i agree with them.
    There is no requirement that the members of the group be members
of the Steering Committee. In fact most of them will not. The only
requirement for a TC to recommend someone is that they be a member of
the TC - they may or not work of a company that is a member section
member. I believe that is clearly stated in the charter. So if you
think that calling the group a sub-committee makes a difference wrt
that issue, then we have a fundamental disagreement.

  I believe its up to the Steering Committee if it wants to appoint a
steering committee member to be on the group. It should not be a
requirement.

   I see no reason to restrict who the group can make a
recommendation to. Its up to the recipient of a recommendation to
decide what to do with it. Are you seriously saying that if the group
wants to pass a motion and send an email to some other, OASIS group,
it shouldn't be allowed to?

   But these are just my opinions. The Steering Committee can vote
and decide on each of these suggestions.

cheers,
   jeff
> The changes I made in the attached draft achieve the following:
>

> -          Label this new group as a “subcommittee” of the OpenCSA
> MS Steering Committee.  You received communication from Jamie Clark
> on 24 August wherein he advised, “The committees of deliberative
> bodies also are allowed by Roberts to create sub-committees
> "which, however, report to the committee, and never to the assembly
> [, and] must consist of members of the committee,”.  Thus this
> becomes the Liaison Subcommittee (LSC).
>
> -          Clarified references to the OpenCSA MS Steering
> Committee (StC).
>
> -          Clarified that the StC “must” have one of its members on
> the LSC, rather than “should”.
>
> -          Clarified that referenced TCs are TCs affiliated to the
> OpenCSA MS.
>

> Please let me know if anyone has questions about the edits made in
> the attached revised charter.
>

> Keep up the good work.
>

> Best regards,
>

> Patrick Gannon
> President & CEO
> OASIS
> +1.978.667.5115 x201  - office
> +1.978.761.3546       - mobile
> Skype: pgannon

Director, Oracle Fusion Middleware and Web Services Standards	+1(650)
506-1975
Consulting Member Technical Staff           			500 Oracle Parkway, M/
S 4OP9
Oracle								Redwood Shores, CA 94065