Subject: Re: [office] style name uniqueness (Re: [office] OpenDocument TCMeeting Minutes 2006-01-09 and 2005-12-19)

Hi all,

David Faure wrote:
>> Style names are also not required to be unique across different
>> style-family, which could be a potential problem for implementors.
>>
> Yes, I just hit a problem with a document (generated by OOo upon reading from a .doc)
> where a text style and a paragraph style have the same name.
> Can we also include in the future version of the spec that style
> names should be unique across style families as well?

I would like to support this request from my OpenDocument user
perspective as well.
It means quite an overhead to find out the style family, every time you
match in the 'office:body' a '*:style-name' attribute [see 1], although
the used 'style:name' is unique in over >99% of the cases [see 2]
Complicated as the different namespaces of '*:style:attribute' [see 1]
are not sufficient for mapping to a 'style:family' (5 namespaces relate
to 12 'style:family' elements), but the attribute's element is required
to solve the relation.

Regards,
Svante

[1] namespace wildcard '*' can be 'text', 'table', 'presentation',
'draw', or 'chart'
[2] different approach could be finding earlier all dublicate style
names in the 'office:style' section and trigger an extra behavior later
(overhead as well)

--
Svante Schubert <svante.schubert@sun.com>             Sun Microsystems
Software Engineer - StarOffice                           Sachsenfeld 4