Subject: Re: [oslc-core] Proposal to remove Link header option from Resource Preview spec

Ian Green1 <ian.green@uk.ibm.com> wrote on 08/22/2014 09:04:51 AM:

> Isn't there a requirement that I can discover the preview of a non-
> RDF resource, for example, a binary?  Link header serves this purpose.

Ian, this is a really good point and probably the easiest way to
implement it.

Another approach is to use an associated RDF source from LDP [1].

Request:

    HEAD /attachments/foo.gif
    Host: example.com

Response:

    200 OK
    Link: <http://example.com/attachments/foo.rdf>; rel="describedby"
    [other headers]

then

Request:

    GET /attachments/foo.rdf
    Host: example.com
    Accept: application/json
    Prefer: return=representation; include="http://open-services.net/ns/core#PreferCompact"

to get the Compact resource.

The benefit of the second approach is that we don't have define a new
Link relation. It's the same amount of HTTP requests.

We're working on an OSLC Change Management attachments spec now, so it's
timely feedback.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/ldp/#ldpc-post-createbinlinkmetahdr
--
Samuel Padgett | IBM Rational | spadgett@us.ibm.com
Eclipse Lyo: Enabling tool integration with OSLC