Subject: Re: Shapes that don't change across versions, multiple shapes per resource type & cheap changes. Re: [oslc-core] Conventions around publication of "resource shapes" from TCs

<oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org>
> Date: 12/17/2014 07:49 AM
> Subject: Shapes that don't change across versions, multiple shapes per
> resource type & cheap changes. Re: [oslc-core] Conventions around
> publication of "resource shapes" from TCs
>
> 1.
> If in future we produce a new version of the spec (e.g. "3.1") which
changes
> some shapes but not others, would you imagine having a redirect from the
/3.
> 1/ URL to the /3.0/ one for those that haven't changed, or just have the

> spec reference a mixture of /3.0/ and /3.1/ URLs?

I would think that we'd republish at the "latest" version, that way anyone
picking up the spec from a given time doesn't have to flatten all the
versions to get the "latest".

Though I don't have a strong preference.  I could see where publishing a
shape at the new URI when nothing has changed to be a bit confusing as
well.

> 2.
> Some resource types may have more than one shape - e.g. one minimal
shape
> for creation, and another for retrieval that includes properties that
are
> only expected to be set by the server.
> For those cases we might want:
>
> http://open-services.net/ns/<vocab short
name>/shapes/<version>/<resource-
> type>/<shape-name>
>
> or:
>
> http://open-services.net/ns/<vocab short
name>/shapes/<version>/<resource-
> type>#<shape-name>
>
> but I think this is compatible with your existing proposal.

Agree it is within the current naming approach but we should follow a
similar pattern/approach.

> 3.
> Also, apart from correcting typos, etc, are there any changes that would
go
> into a shape in a subsequent version of the spec without increasing the
> version number (other than fixing typos, etc)? e.g. if at v3 any spec/
> profile still requires providers to not generate an error if they
receive a
> property with which they are unfamiliar, would adding a new property in
> shape be a 'cheap' change that wouldn't require a new version?
>
> I presume we won't make any material changes without increasing the
version
> number, but I think it's worth discussing briefly now.

I would think that the only time to add, and not bump the version number,
is when the spec is still evolving (frozen at Committee Specification).
Adding a new optional property after this seems like it would require a
bump in the version number. Are you saying this approach may be too rigid
for some scenarios you have?

The idea would be that shapes could build off of shapes, ie a locally
installed and configured instance may add customer-defined
properties...therefore a tool-specific shape.

- Steve