pbd-se message

Subject: externalities as related to PbD

As I mentioned I’ve been chairing the W3C Device APIs working group [1]  and have been struggling with making an impact on privacy when working on specs that are components of a larger system, where much is external and out of the working group control. The specifications  include privacy considerations, but much is out of the work group scope, for example data retention or reuse.

In the process of working on this I edited a Note where the working group recorded best practices in an attempt to address some of the externalities

http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/NOTE-app-privacy-bp-20120703/

I also shared these externality concerns in a workshop contribution:

http://www.iab.org/wp-content/IAB-uploads/2011/03/frederick_hirsch-revised.pdf

It might be useful to consider how to practically address these concerns - my suggestion is that in some cases a community may still be advised to use the PbD work to the best of their ability despite not being able to comply with all the normative statements.

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch, Nokia
@fjhirsch

[1] http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/