pkcs11-comment message

Subject: RE: [pkcs11-comment] Dealing with a 2% or 80% PKCS #11 market

I don't understand the basis of the 2% and 80% comparison.

What is the 100% of which Windows, Android, and iOS make up 98%?

That is, what is the 2% that you are talking about, and how large is that in absolute numbers?

Now, with regard to Hardware Security Modules (HSMs?), what is that market size and what is 80% in absolute numbers?

I suspect that if I had a business that could profitably capture 1% of that 100% for some period of time, I would be a very happy camper.  I might even be quite happy with some smaller percentage of the 2% of that ginormous 100%.

I am not objecting to your conclusion.  I just don't see what the absolute comparison of %ages of quite different populations has to do with it.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: pkcs11-comment@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:pkcs11-comment@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Anders Rundgren
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:21 PM
To: pkcs11-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

I have had some discussion with people involved in PKCS #11.
As far as I know PKCS #11 isn't a part of Windows, Android or iOS.
That is, for 98% of all normal end-users PKCS #11 is irrelevant.

For HSMs OTOH the PKCS #11 market-share may be as high as 80%.

IMO, it doesn't make sense putting a lot of energy on a 2% market unless
it is about adding things that exist in the schemes used by the other 98%.

Anders

--
This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS PKCS 11 TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
before posting.

Subscribe: pkcs11-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org