Subject: Re: [pkcs11] Next Standard Version Number

On 3/8/16 4:05 AM, Darren J Moffat wrote:
Why not do a 2.41/2.50 with the set of new algorithms that don't need new functions.  Then deliver
the new functions as 3.00.

--
Darren J Moffat

Hi Darren -

Good question, really it comes down to resources. While OASIS would allow us to run
multiple efforts in parallel, we would need a lot more folks to be hands on. Additionally,
I worry about spreading our reviewers too thin as well and missing issues.

One item I left off is that we would still be bringing the new mechanisms forward
as  a committee note, so the mech ID, etc could be set in a semi-formal fashion
at a quicker pace.  that should allow those with an urgent need to add a mechanism
to do so w/out waiting for the newer version of the standard.

Hope that helps!

Valerie

--
Valerie Fenwick, http://bubbva.blogspot.com/ @bubbva
Solaris Cryptographic & Key Management Technologies, Manager