pki-survey message

Subject: Paul Evans joining PKI Survey subcommittee

Paul Evans of Booz Allen Hamilton has decided to join
the PKI Survey Subcommittee. Paul wrote:

I've had some experience in designing and conducting surveys.
My first surveys were to solicit client satisfaction metrics
while at the FAA.  While co-chairing the World Electronic
Messaging Association's PKI Challenge, I collaborated on a
couple of PKI issues and readiness surveys.  While working
for Ferris Research, Inc., I conducted roughly a dozen surveys.
I do not purport to be a survey expert, though, but believe I
can provide meaningful contributions.

Thanks for joining the PKI Survey Subcommittee, Paul.
Welcome aboard! I'm glad to have your expertise on
the SC. This should be very helpful.

Please review the materials on the SC web site so you're
up to speed with what we're doing. I'm sorry to say that
Peter Doyle's emails haven't been showing up in the archive.
His email address was listed incorrectly. But he has fixed
that problem now. I can forward you his missing emails if
you like, but I think you can puzzle things out.

If you look at the work items we agreed on, you'll see
that our next step is to agree on the objectives and sample
for the survey and then to create an implementation plan
and possible timeline. I sent a first draft of the objectives
and sample to the SC list a week ago. I have reproduced
that draft below. I'd appreciate your comments (sent to
the SC list.

Today, I suggested that we have a concall to agree on
the objectives, etc. That way, we can bring them to the
PKI TC's April 30 concall for their review and approval.

Of the times I suggested for the concall (all EDT, Boston
time), Peter tells us that these work for him:

Thursday, April 24: 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Tuesday, April 29:   9:00 AM - 10:00 AM, 11:00 AM - 5:30 PM

I'd prefer the Thursday time, since it's sooner. Does that
time work for you? If none of these times work for you,
maybe we can work by email.

Thanks,

Steve

-------------

The objective of the PKI TC's PKI Deployment Obstacles Survey
is to identify the most commonly cited obstacles to PKI
deployment and usage. We want to be able to identify which
obstacles are most commonly cited and correlate these obstacles
with information about the respondents, such as their occupation,
the industry in which they are employed, their years of experience
in the computer industry, in information security, or with PKI, etc.

Maybe we should also look at what benefits the respondents hoped
to receive from PKI and what benefits they actually saw.

I'm primarily interested in responses from people who have
significant experience with PKI deployment, although I'm also
interested in responses from other people as long as we can
separate these categories for analysis.

To be specific, I'd like to see responses from IT managers
and staff who have completed successful PKI deployments,
people who have attempted deployments but failed, and people
who have considered deployments but decided against them.
I'd also be glad to hear from employees of PKI vendors and
lawyers or IT consultants who have worked on or observed
PKI deployments. And I'd also be glad to hear from researchers
or analysts with PKI experience or insights.