Subject: Re: [pki-tc-chair] Widespread adoption of PKI

Mark,

I will pass on your email to the PKI Technical
Committee and see what comments they may have.

My personal opinion is that Federated Identity
standards are useful and complementary to PKI.
FI can use PKI to authenticate users (or not).
FI typically uses PKI to secure communications
between trust authorities (but not always).
FI can reduce the need for large PKIs by allowing
organizations to recognize each others' credentials
(although many of the same hard issues arise, like
defining levels of trust and liability).

So I don't see FI as a panacea or a replacement
for PKI. Rather, I see them as complementary.

Thanks,

Steve