Subject: re:[pki-tc] Application SC report

Arshad wrote:

[snip]

> I, thus, propose that the Application SC undertake the following for
> 2005  to start making PKI as ubiquitous in transactions as it is in
> SSL/TLS:
>
> 1) Identify models that can serve Transaction-PKI; examples are
>     S/MIME, TLS, DSS, etc. (need to come up with models that are
>     both XML and non-XML based);
> 2) Determine if the model(s) are capable of serving the needs of
>     Transaction-PKI;
> 3) Determine gaps and what it takes to cover those gaps;
> 4) Get resources to cover those gaps;
> 5) Start promoting the model;
>
> Comments?  Suggestions?
>
> Arshad Noor
> StrongAuth, Inc.

I believe that one of the strongest PKI applications has been the
Tradelink system in Hong Kong for electronic trade documentation.  Indeed,
it represents a whole PKI scheme.  It is at least 7 years old, with over
100,000 certificates in active use.

In recent years, the Tradelink experience has spawned the regional Pan
Asia Alliance (PAA) involving cross recognition of commercial CAs in
several countries.  See www.paa.net.  Their focus is still electornic
trade documentation, which has a strong buisness case, with demonstrated
benefits for large numbers of entities across the region. I would expect
that a suite of architectural resources/models and business analyses (and
support software) would have grown up around PAA.

So ... may I suggest that we reach out to PAA via the Asia PKI Forum, to
swap notes on Transaction-PKI models as outlined by Arshad?

SUGGESTION
Arshad: if you could prepare a somewhat more detailed (one page)
expression of your interests in 'Transaction-PKI models' then I could
table it at the Asia PKI Forum in Japan next month, and also reach out to
my good friends in the PAA for further details.

Cheers,

Stephen.

Stephen Wilson
Lockstep Consulting Pty Ltd
ABN 59 593 754 482

11 Minnesota Ave
Five Dock NSW 2046
Australia

P +61 (0)414 488 851

About Lockstep
Lockstep was established in early 2004 by noted authentication expert
Stephen Wilson, to provide independent advice and analysis on cyber
security policy, strategy, risk management, and identity management.
Lockstep is also developing unique new smartcard solutions to address
privacy and identity theft.
Contact swilson@lockstep.com.au.