Subject: RE: [pki-tc] Question: Best Practice for PKI in a DR situation

Most of the HSM vendors provide ways that you can securely back up a CA
private key, and I believed this was the norm for disaster recovery.

There are 2 methods commonly used for DR, both involve equipment at a
2nd site - one is the lower cost off-line method, which takes longer to
recover, i.e. having a copy of your CA key material kept securely at a
back up site, and to do regular data backups to that site. The other is
to have a method of online data backup (this depends on the database you
are using, or you can use a number of other data backup methods).

As Steve says, the issue of CA key compromise, is the much harder one to
get to comprehend, yet alone work out how to handle it. The use of
multiple people being required in order to activate an HSM, greatly
reduces the risk i.e. even if the HSM is stolen, the tamper proffing
should stop acces to the keys. However you can consider other scenarios
where the HSM doesn't have to be stolen.

Regards
Helen Mullenger
UniCERT Product Manager
Cybertrust