Subject: re:[pki-tc] 3 slides for OASIS forum

Thanks for that Arshad.  It's a tough gig doing PKI in three slides!

My only comment would that I think we should elevate embedded PKI in the
future slide, perhaps to top position.  In my view, client side PKI is
likely to become ubiquitous in devices like smartcards and cell phones.

[My favorite comparison is with magnetic stripe card technology.  That is
so ubiquitous that we blissfully forget about the complexity of
ferromagnetics, and the complex supply chain that delivers card products
via blank plastics, magnetic tapes and bulk ferrite powders.  Chip cards
will supersede all this in coming years, and digital certificates will
become at least as common as cards.]

A missing example on slide 3 may be the EMV smartcard, which has embedded
client side PKI, with over 400 million smart credit/debit cards already
issued.

Anders may be right that gateway PKI is important too, but it is not in the
same league (with respect to numbers) as embedded client side PKI.  The
outright need for gateway PKI will likely fall as embedded certificates
become seamlessly easy to use.

Cheers,

Steve.

--