Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] State and view definitions

Title: Message

Actually, that was my point. If you’re not doing change management you don’t use Version, things connect at the View level. If you don’t use View then it seems you have no need to record data about real-world individual assets (e.g. HMS Daring) from different viewpoints. I find that quite surprising. I assumed that real-world assets would have more than one life cycle stage/application domain that is a context within which you’d want to record things like State.

I have not studied the PLCS model in detail. Just reporting my understanding of what the STEP “backbone” enables. If there are other PLCS solutions to the requirements I mention, that’s fine. If there are not, then apparently I’m a bit confused.

Cheers,

David

-----Original Message-----
From: John Dunford [mailto:esukpc15@gotadsl.co.uk]
Sent: 11 May 2004 10:06
To: 'David Price'; plcs-dex@lists.oasis-open.org

Rob, David's comment comes very much from an engineering design viewpoint.  When it comes to product_as_individual  (i.e. to the main things PLCS is interested in states of) the target for most state_observed description will be the product version.   Indeed I am not even sure if concept of product view definition has much meaning ( my sketch of the cracked pipe v your sketch of it?)

It was always part of the PLCS approach to use state for describing physical conditions (or points in a process) and NOT to use it configuration management, where the PDM Module concepts already handled the known business problems.

I would therefore inclined not to apply state to product view definition UNLESS someone can provide a real example of where this might be useful that is not connected with CM.

John Dunford,

Eurostep Limited,

25, Chaucer Road, BATH BA2 4QX, UK

Tel: +44 1225 789347