Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] RE: STATE OBSERVED Capability

Title: Message
The question is not whether to use state_observed to record approval.

The problem is that Task has a life cycle - this is needed to meet the requirements of DEX 3.

A life cycle is effectively a fine state machine. The life cycle for Task has four states and three transition. These transitions are approvals.

In the real world, we can assert a life cycle state by asserting its current state (state_observed), or equivalently, the last state transition (approval).

The question originally posed concerned the State_observed capability. As written, it does not support the asserting of life cycle state through approval. The question was therefore a) can life state be asserted by approval, and b) if so, where should such a capability be documented?

In Task life cycle, approval of the Task is assertion of a state-transition, for the purpose of defining the changeability of data (i.e. what does it mean if the Task data you send me does not match the Task data I have already?). This is quite distinct from the approval of Task as being a suitable description of how to do something on a product, which is done by approving Task_assignment.

It is considerably easier to understand a complex life cycle through its state transition diagram than through a set of rewrite rules for trace generation. It is also much easier to simply read the state from a state-variable than deduce it from the trace of state transitions. Further, requiring that elaboration of the life cycle is done by sub-typing states means that any life cycle can be simplified back to the root life cycle. This ensures that there is always a base life cycle in common between any two PLCS implementations. Writing such a constraint on rewrite rules would be opaque.

The proposal to base Task life cycle on a state transition diagram - and therefore require state assertion by approval - should be taken in this context.

Pull chain here: John - There is no such entity as Task_specification, the entity is Task, which is a subtype of Activity_method, which is not to be confused with task, which, according to the definition, is not what Task models.

Sean Barker
ATC Filton
0117 302 8184