Subject: Traceability.

There is a (potential-user) requirement to identify a part as

	i)   being serialisable
	ii)  being tracked/traced throughout its life
	iii) having it usage recorded

I would expect the need to serial number a part to be a classification applied to a product or product version. Does such a classification appear in a capability or DEX? if so which one? if not, which one should I raise an issue against?

The need to track/trace a part may be part of the definition of the part or may be a consequence of a user requirement. Where will this be documented?

I would guess that the need to record usage will be a classification against product or product version, as for serialization - same questions.

In terms of a classification hierarchy, I guess that we have root class "Traceability" and three subclasses
	Serialised
	Track/trace
	Usage

with usage implying track/trace and track/trace implying serialized/

Comments soonest, as I have a request for an example of what this would look like, as this is currently done using properties (as an extension to the PDM schema).

Sean Barker
ATC Filton
0117 302 8184