Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] Traceability.

I agree the requirement but am not clear quite what you mean by usage.
Do you mean "where used", in the sense that engine serial number 3 has
been fitted to aircraft 4, 7 and 9?  The term usage also applies to
"hours run" or "number of starts".
Maybe iii) should read -- "have history of where used recorded".

John Dunford,
Eurostep Limited,
25, Chaucer Road, BATH BA2 4QX, UK
Tel: +44 1225 789347
Mobile: +44 0797 491 8202
www.eurostep.com
www.share-a-space.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Barker, Sean (UK) [mailto:sean.barker@baesystems.com]
Sent: 23 June 2004 17:14
To: Plcs-Dex Sub Group Oasis (E-mail) (E-mail)
Subject: [plcs-dex] Traceability.

There is a (potential-user) requirement to identify a part as

	i)   being serialisable
	ii)  being tracked/traced throughout its life
	iii) having it usage recorded

I would expect the need to serial number a part to be a classification
applied to a product or product version. Does such a classification
appear in a capability or DEX? if so which one? if not, which one should
I raise an issue against?

The need to track/trace a part may be part of the definition of the part
or may be a consequence of a user requirement. Where will this be
documented?

I would guess that the need to record usage will be a classification
against product or product version, as for serialization - same
questions.

In terms of a classification hierarchy, I guess that we have root class
"Traceability" and three subclasses
	Serialised
	Track/trace
	Usage

with usage implying track/trace and track/trace implying serialized/

Comments soonest, as I have a request for an example of what this would
look like, as this is currently done using properties (as an extension
to the PDM schema).

Sean Barker
ATC Filton
0117 302 8184

recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender. You
should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute
its contents to any other person.