Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] Name of template parameters

No problem for me, though we need to be able to see whether this will affect other templates which are already configured for using the existing names as arguments. These will need to be re-done, figures, template calls, examples ..which is why we really need tools to see these interdependencies.

regards,
Tim

NB Ideally, the parameter description in the template should make the parameter definition explicit enough to understand - though I agree intuition is rather compromised.

From: Peter Bergström [mailto:peter.bergstrom@eurostep.com]
Sent: 20 May 2006 14:21
To: plcs-dex@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [plcs-dex] Name of template parameters

Hi,

I have been editing templates for a while now, and I have a question regarding the naming of parameters.

Why do we say xxx_class_name for parameters that are reference data? Just to indicate that they are reference data?

I think this makes things more confusing.

Take a numerical property as an example, I would anticipate to see a value parameter, and a unit parameter.

What we have is

- value

- unit_class_name

- si_unit

- rep_class_name

- rep_ecl_id

 -unit_ecl_id

It is not intuitive what 'unit' parameter to use, I think, but we can't do much about that, except call si_unit 'si_or_not' or something... I don't like that.

But I would like to change the rep_class_name to 'context', because it is the name of the context, not of the representation. I find it unnecessary to call it context_class_name, though.

And I would like to change unit_class_name to 'unit', since it is then easier to understand that this _is_ the unit (I think).

So my suggestion (which I have already implemented for your review in cap Representing_properties_numerically, template representing_value_numeric) is to have the following parameters:

-          value

-          unit

-          si_unit