Subject: Use of numerical_representation_context

Trine,

I’m editing the property capabilities in OASIS now, and I tried to understand how you have used reference data for ’representation_context’ and ‘prop def method’ (business concept NDLO, Part_characterization, figure #3, table #5). There are no good examples in AP239 for the representation_context IMHO, nor in the current OASIS capabilities or reference data, that satisfies my need to understand _what this really is_, and what you did in the Frigate project is the best (I think?) examples I have seen so far.

However, I don’t fully understand it…

As representation_context (classification of Numerical_representation_context in C079) I have only seen one value in the examples in DEXlib business concept NDLO, Part_characterization, figure #3, table #5:

            ‘contractor data’

To me this implies that there will be other possible values such as ‘operational data’ or ‘analysis data’…?

As ‘prop def method’ (classification on Property_value_representation in C079) you have more than one value in the examples that I have seen, e.g.:

            ‘measured_value’

            ‘predicted_value’

            ‘calculated_value’

            ‘descriptive_text’ (for a text property)

I think the ‘prop def method’ should really be a classification of Property_representation, which has a role attribute that I think corresponds better to this type of data, but I’m not sure I have understood your combination of ‘representation_context’ and ‘prop_def_method’.

Can you please provide some more explanation on how you intend to use these classifications (reference data), e.g. by providing me some more sample values for them, or even a definition?

And I would also like to understand why the ‘prop_def_method’ is assigned to Property_value_representation instead of to Property_representation? The reason I wonder is that if it assigned to the first, it is very, very similar to the Representation_context, and I can’t really tell which is which… I would then propose in DEXlib to collapse these two classes into one, namely representation_context, giving it values such as e.g. ‘contractor_predicted_value’, ‘analysis_result_calculated_value’, etc.

Peter Bergström

Eurostep