Subject: representing assembly and promissory usage

Hi

We are trying to address the issues raised against representing assembly structure template

Open issueIssue: GYL-2 by Leif Gyllstrom (2007-05-04) major_technical issue
Resolution: Accept. Status: open

I would suggest not using the quanitity and location_indicator attributes, but use assignments instead.

Comment: (Peter Bergström 2007-05-17)
I don't see the obvious replacement to using the quantity attribute, what did you have in mind?
When it comes to using the asg_location instead of location indicator, I'm not sure asg_location can actually serve the full purpose of the attribute. The location_indicator is primarily used as an indicator of an occurrence of a Part, not a physical location. The capability Representing_location says in the business overview that "This Capability should not be used to describe location within product geometry." I don't fully know what is meant by that statement, or if it applies to location_indicator in general, but for certain types of occurences of Parts it would be a location within the product geometry

It is not clear to me why you want to use a property rather than the quantity attribute

Do you expect that the quantity will change through life? And therefore we need an assignment so that we can apply effectivity?

If that was the case would you not have a separate assembly relationship each time with the effectivity applied?

I  have also raised an issue against representing_promissory usage and representing_assembly stating that they should use the same approach.

representing_assembly uses representing quantity – representing_promissory usage use the same approach

Regarding the location indicator – this is used to represent the occurrence of the product within an assembly – why not use the attribute?

Regards
Rob

Rob Bodington
Eurostep Limited
Tel: +44 (0)1452 810 960
Mobile: +44 (0)7796 176 401
Email: Rob.Bodington@eurostep.com
Web:
http://www.eurostep.com

Eurostep Limited. Registered in England and Wales No.03049099

Registered Office: Cwttir Lane, St. Asaph, Denbighshire LL17 0LQ.