plcs message

Subject: RE: [plcs] What do we publish as a standard

There is a page on templates for OASIS specs that might provide some guidance.

http://www.oasis-open.org/spectools/index.php

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Bodington [mailto:rob.bodington@eurostep.com]
Sent: 14 May 2004 08:49
To: plcs@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [plcs] What do we publish as a standard

Hi

It has never been entirely clear to me precisely what it is that we propose to publish as an OASIS standard.

In SC4, it is very clear what and how something should be published as a standard. This does not seem to be the case in OASIS.

Yes, we say that we intend to publish the DEXs, but what exactly does that mean?

So, in the interests of starting a debate, I see at least three possibilities.

1 DEXs as is

We publish the DEXs as they are now with no additional work.

We may get away with this – I’m not sure.

2 Publish the XML Schema

We could treat the DEXs structure that we have as usage guidance material and simply publish the P28 XML Schema that is associated with each DEX. We could enhance the P28 generation capability to include the definitions of the entities and attributes extracted from the EXPRESS. I get the impression that this is the flavour of a number of existing OASIS standards.

3 DEXs as ????

Come up with some other format for publishing the DEXs that conform to the OASIS publication standard.

The problem here is that the standard is not defined anywhere.

So we end up defining the standard.

And what would we want to do that is different?

Regards
Rob

Rob Bodington
Eurostep Limited