plcs message

Subject: RE: [plcs] Proposal for DEX Template - D000

Title: Proposal for DEX Template - D000

All,

Just a comment/concern from someone not involved in the workshops…

I note that the “assigning identifiers” capability is 26 pages in Word. I also note that DEX000 includes 10 capabilities.

Extrapolating from those two facts, it appears to me that DEX000 is going to require something in the neighborhood of 200-300 pages of documentation.

Doesn’t that seem excessive given that it’s just a parts list? I can’t imagine the reaction of an implementer not involved in the PLCS development when he or she has 300 pages of paper dropped on their desk for something so basic.  I checked and the entire AP203 Edition 1 Recommended Practices document from PDES, Inc. is 110 pages and the PDM Schema usage guide is 271 pages and each covers far more scope.

I also can’t imagine their reaction if they’re not already literate in EXPRESS and Part 21 as that’s all the diagrams and examples show, but that’s another question. I’’ just reiterate my disappointment that the DEXs are not proving to be a means for bringing PLCS and STEP to a broader audience.

Cheers,

David