Subject: Re: [pmrm] FW: Notable developments this week in Privacy

Michael,

Kudos to Peter!

Following this official release will be two other important releases from the Department of Commerce and the FTC, both of which are expected in the coming weeks. These three documents, along with the cadre of new laws that are emerging from Asia, Latin America, the Middle East and Africa, not withstanding regulatory changes in Canada and the myriad of changes in the US, will make it imperative that we have the capacity to apply complex legal requirements to the processes and products we are offering to individuals.

It will be interesting to hear Peter's analysis regarding the EU proposals and how they will effect (or not) the existing laws in Europe.

Best to you all, Gail

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 6:27 PM, Peter F Brown <peter@peterfbrown.com> wrote:

I hope to be doing an analysis of the new European Commission proposals in the next days (clients permitting…) and will post a link to it once done..

Peter F Brown

Independent Consultant

www.peterfbrown.com

P.O. Box 49719, Los Angeles, CA 90049, USA

Tel: +1.310.694.2278

From: pmrm@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:pmrm@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Michael Willett
Sent: Wednesday, 25 January, 2012 08:27
To: pmrm@lists.oasis-open.org

PMRMers – FYI

You probably saw this otherwise, but just in case…

Michael

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

EU Data Protection Rules

European Commission proposes a comprehensive reform of the data protection rules
http://ec.europa.eu/justice/newsroom/data-protection/news/120125_en.htm

Europe Weighs Tough Law on Online Privacy
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/24/technology/europe-weighs-a-tough-law-on-online-privacy-and-user-data.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=europeancommission

US continue pushing on EU Commission against Data Protection proposals (posting on European Digital Rights website)
http://edri.org/edrigram/number10.1/us-pushes-eu-on-data-protection

Google

Google Blog Post: Updating our Privacy Policies and Terms of Service

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/updating-our-privacy-policies-and-terms.html

Google Privacy Policies Get Major Revamp

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/24/google-privacy-policies_n_1229470.html

Google’s Privacy Policy to Be Assessed by Irish Regulator

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-01-25/google-s-privacy-policy-to-be-assessed-by-irish-regulator.html

Jim McCabe
Senior Director, Standards Facilitation
American National Standards Institute