Subject: Re: [pmrm] Phone info for OASIS PMRM Teleconference Meeting - Thursday 13 February 2014 11.00 am ET

All,

Attached is the draft for our discussion:

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 7:51 PM, Gail Magnuson <gail.magnuson@gmail.com> wrote:
Greetings,

My apologies for sending the materials for tomorrow's meeting tomorrow, however, I do have at least 2 more hours of work in the morning.

My goal was to spend less than 16 hours on the work you will see, to prove that the PMRM is viable for a Privacy Office that needs to do work quickly, but accurately.

Over the past two months, I have spent a small amount of time (less than 2 hours), reviewing the various methodologies and work products I have employed over the past 16 years. I focused in this review on four things::

  • Was the PMRM comprehensive?
  • Could the PMRM facilitate the creation of an architecture that was took privacy into account without causing significant extra work?
  • What 'tools' would make the PMRM process faster and more efficient?
  • Would the PMRM work products be more relevant and understandable for IT and non-privacy employees?
 My small amount of hours have been interrupted by hosting my husband's 90 year old dad for 12 weeks, by our unexpected purchase of a home in FL in January and a pending move and major downsizing effort by mid-March and also by a privacy assignment to create templates to guide privacy officers in various privacy management activities. Naturally, the last activity has refreshed my privacy perspectives and has led to making the next 14 hours of the OASIS task easier.

So far I have spent 10 hours on the work that you will see in tomorrow's use case. I kept the basic topic of the use case more or less the same for Acme Insurance however I found that, for data privacy reasons, I felt the need to add functionality to the Hudson Motors products and services.

I also found that I needed to add some of the original PMRM steps/outline of processes into the Use Case Template from this fall in order to make it more logical as I worked on the document and ensure that the output was comprehensive.

I found that as I worked on each section of the document, I impressed by the iterative changes I made in the overall architecture of products, systems, applications, business processes, privacy policy, privacy controls and services. This, to me, means that the final operations and IT architecture is privacy friendly.

While I will not have all of the 'tools' in place by tomorrow, I am in favor of using a series of matrices that tie the sections together. By this I mean for example, mapping Domains/Sub-Domains to Data Subjects, Products, Business Activities, Systems, Applications and Privacy Controls; mapping Business Activities, Systems and Applications to PI/PII; mapping Privacy Controls to Services...et. al. is a simple way to ensure a comprehensive and accurate privacy design. For the data flows, I do favor the approach that Michelle Dennedy is proposing to demonstrate the flows. I will not be finished with this part of the process.

Whether the result will be more relevant to IT professionals I am not certain.I do believe that the creation of PI/PII bundles that are to be used in systems and applications will help ensure that IT professionals segregate data and implicitly apply the data minimization principle.  I expect that it will help those responsible for operations and business processes do a better job integrating privacy into their operations.

I have about two more hours in the morning to finish as much as is possible and you can decide where to go next.

Best, Gail