Subject: Re: [provision] Charter...

This may have already been discussed and agreed to, but the term "resources"
in "between cooperating provisioning resources" seems wrong to me. Has
"services" already been ruled out?

Don;

"Ranthidevan, Anand" wrote:

> Based on our discussions on 12/17 and 12/10 (where issues like not
> having phrases like "end-to-end" in the charter, inclusion of the
> organization/user identities, and the hosted model, etc. ), I'd like to
> propose the following modified version for the charter:

> ------------
>
> The purpose of the OASIS Provisioning Services Technical Committee
> (PSTC) is to define an XML-based framework for exchanging *identity* and
> *resource* provisioning information. This framework will be referred to
> as the Service Provisioning Markup Language (SPML).
>
> The Technical Committee will develop an open specification addressing
> the required semantics to exchange identity related requests (where an
> identity could be organizations, groups, or users) between cooperating
> provisioning resources. A resource could be any application or system
> capable of consuming a well-formed SPML request. A Provisioning Request
> will include actions like: provision, activate, amend, suspend, enable,
> and delete.
>
> The scenarios SPML will cover include (but are not limited to):
>
> 1) Provisioning any internal resource within an organization
> 2) Provisioning any external resource hosted by 3rd party providers,
> aggregators, ASPs, etc.
> 3) Providing a Hosted SPML-based provisioning service that can act as an
> intermediary between two or more systems.
>
> The finished specification is expected to include (but is not limited
> to) core XML schemas for the following:
>
> 1) Defining a common schematic to describe a Resource -- including its
> configurable parameters.
> 2) Query and exchange of available resources that can be provisioned for
> an identity
> 3) Query and exchange of available resource attributes and options
> 4) Query and exchange of available identities and information pertaining
> to each identity
> 5) Query and exchange of resource hierarchies
> 6) Request and response for specific provisioning messages
>
> SPML will assume a pre-existing trust model between participating
> resources and will utilize available security mechanisms for encryption
> and message integrity. The SPML specification will be developed with
> consideration of the following existing specifications (which are of
> public knowledge -- accessible and freely distributed): Active Digital
> Profile (ADPr), eXtensible Resource Provisioning Management (XRPM), and
> Information Technology Markup Language (ITML).
>
> The goal of the Technical Committee (subject to revision) is to submit a
> Specification (including Use Cases & Requirements, Information Model,
> Protocols, Bindings, and Conformance) to the OASIS Membership for its
> approval by September 2002.

> ------------
>
> Thanks,
> -Anand
>
> [Anand Ranthidevan]
> Product Manager - Jamcracker, Inc.
> http://www.jamcracker.com

begin:vcard
n:Bowen;Don
tel;cell:309-453-6996
tel;work:877-232-0202
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.sun.com
org:Sun Microsystems, Inc.;Identity Services
adr:;;3107 W Capitol Dr;Peoria;IL;61614;
version:2.1
email;internet:dirman@sun.com
title:Product Line Manager
fn:Don Bowen