Subject: RE: [provision] Austin F2F#1 Straw-man Agenda]

All,

I have followed the discussions with great enthusiasm since I'm usually the one creating the dissension and confusion.  Having said this, I think that much of the agenda is premature and I'll state my case.

Most of the items on the agenda assume that the group has reached consensus on the use cases and operating models for SPML.  I think that is is essential that we finalize the use cases and then determine the requirements that the use cases mandate for authentication, authorization, messaging, session management, error handling, status reporting, schema, roll back, protocol, etc.

Many of the arguments that have been presented in the email have focused on issues that suppose the architecture of a physical solution.  For example, the use of a meta-directory as an agent in the provisioning process.  I think it is important for us to do all of our work using an abstract model that does not constrain us due to the limitations of an existing type of target system or intermediary.  DSML is a good example. It supposes an LDAP directory and is thus limited by how the model works and what it can address.

The PSTC introductory document makes the correct assertion in stating that, "it is not necessary to define the implementation or physical makeup of a provisioning system. It should simply be assumed that a facility or capability exists within a network to carry out provisioning actions on a given set of resources."

The opportunity at hand is to correct the rest of the assertions in the paragraph, "In many (but not mandatory to all) provisioning systems, the "system" denotes the capacity to take provisioning requests and to execute them in the context of some pre-defined flow of execution.  In many cases (but not mandatory to all) the provisioning system encompasses a formal work-flow to implement these pre-defined business process."

My belief is that we cannot presuppose the workflow of the target system or that all provisioning activities are based on predefined execution models that must be arranged by the two parties before transactions can occur.

Also, I would like the face to face to deal with acknowledging the role and requirements for SPML in the transaction between the Provisioning Service Point and the Provisioning Service Target.

My reasoning is that the requirements for protocol, model, schema, etc. may differ when exchanging provisioning requests or information between two PSPs or between a PSP and a PST.

I think we should concentrate our current efforts on the modeling and terminology.  After that, we should examine the requirements for information and services.  Modeling the information we will need to exchange and the services we will require will be a substantial task.

I feel strongly that the selection or definition of protocols should come at the end.  Once we understand the requirements for information exchange, services, and user cases, we will be better able to determine the characteristics of the protocols we require including factors like synchronous or asynchronous operation, delivery guarantees, transitive trust, etc.

Regards,

[Adrian Viego]
-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Gullotta [mailto:TGullotta@access360.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 6:55 PM
To: 'Yoav Kirsch'; 'Gavenraj Sodhi'; Adrian Viego
Cc: 'provision@lists.oasis-open.org'

These are all good points if we are talking about peer-to-peer provisioning (between two provisioning systems). We may want to distinguish this however from a more master-slave approach when provisioning IT or telco resources from a provisioning system. This distinction may or may not be needed depending on the possible integration opportunities we are trying to address. For example, Jeff's point is very valid if we think that Meta-Directories should be able to provision these resources using the same set of standards. Since Meta-Directories are more LDAP centric, then DSML (or LDAP for that matter) may be a good approach for a protocol. Since billing, approvals, and scheduling doesn't really apply in this master-slave scenario, something simple and currently supported may give us all the quickest road to adoption.

Just a thought.

Tony